Service…with a smile!
There’s nothing like a committed team working for worthwhile cause. And last Monday it happened right here in our building!
We hosted our first MLK Day of Service event in conjunction with the Montgomery County. And it was an incredible day. We had 225 people turn out to serve for two hours. Most of them were people from our community, and only a few from our Seneca Creek family. What a thrill to be able to host them for this worthwhile event.
Some of the many serving projects included:
- Move in kits for men transitioning from homelessness
- Cards and letter for troops
- Valentine’s cards for nursing home residents
- Bag lunches for homeless shelters
- Thank you cards for first responders
- Knitting hats and scarves for the homeless
- Personal care kits for the homeless
- Making toys for local animal shelters
Additionally, we hosted a blood drive, which was a big success, with 59 units of blood donated. Thanks to all who gave blood!
None of this would have been possible without our volunteers. So…
- Thank you to each of you who donated supplies and more to help us prepare for this day.
- Thank you to the 50 volunteers who came out Monday to help us host this event.
- Thank you, too, to Jeff Hunt and Kristen Wojdan for coordinating the blood drive
- A big thank you to Jennifer Hurt, Sooky McFadden, and Melissa Widenhofer for your weeks of effort and leadership to ensure everything worked out.
- And a super big thank you to Jeannette Cochran, our Executive Pastor, without whose vision and tireless energy this great event would never have happened.
I have to believe the way our church served put a smile on God’s face. It certainly did on mine.
P.S. For more local media coverage of this event, check out this article.